Saturday, December 1, 2012

Size Does Matter

The new Apple iPad Mini
After a couple of weeks of flying cross country in some good IMC, I am completely sold on the new Mini. Although technically there really isn’t much different about it other than being smaller and the LTE cellular connectivity; size does matter. I have been using an iPad for flying (mainly as a backup) for almost two years and it has completely changed how I do preflight, flight plan, navigate, and maintain situational awareness while flying. The more I use the iPad and Foreflight, the more I like it because it’s just such a great tool for pilots. The new Mini just seems to make it that much better because the size is more convenient for the cockpit. It’s basically the size of a typical kneeboard and doesn’t clutter up your lap/cockpit as bad as the full size iPad. I haven’t had any issues with reading approach plates, sectionals or IFR charts. I put it through its paces several times when ATC would give me reroutes and I would have to figure out my clearances with Foreflight before programming the navigators and it all works great. Like I said, there really isn’t anything new about it other than size, but the size just seems to work better (at least for me) in the cockpit.

I used the iPad Mini on several flights without any case and I love how thin and tiny it is, but quickly realized that it does need to be in a case to protect it just in case it slides off the lap onto the floor. I researched cases at all the major electronic stores as well as on line and found that once again, Otter Box had the best case. I purchased my Otterbox Defender case on Amazon for $45.33 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defender-Series-Hybrid-Case/dp/B009WU5XUG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1354423762&sr=8-5&keywords=ipad+mini+case

This was $20 cheaper than anybody else and the case is awesome. The overall dimensions are still pretty small, but the rubber silicone outer shell keeps the iPad Mini from sliding around. The case really protects the Mini well and definitely worth the money!

If you are looking at purchasing an iPad for flying, I would look very hard at the Mini. I use it all day for surfing the web, e-mails, Facebook, book reading, etc and love it. It’s easy to carry around and fits in the coat pocket. Once again, thanks Apple for another great product!

No comments:

Post a Comment